Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A Captive Audience (SoLSC 10/31) #sol15

I love teaching 7th and 8th graders, and I especially appreciate that teaching this level allows me to be straight up with kids and ask for feedback. Today was another example of that.

See, I have a bunch of picture books at home that I’m trying to read through that have been submitted for consideration for my work as Chair of the WSRA Children’s Literature Committee. My nieces and nephews are visiting this week, so I was reading a few of the picture books off my stacks with my nieces last night.

One of the books just seemed a bit weird to me, and as I always do when that happens, I made it my next #bookaday picture book read aloud with my students for today. Why? Because when I’m unsure of a book, I come to them – my students.

They are kids, they are teens - they have plenty of opinions and usually aren’t afraid to share them (I can relate to that!). I love that I have this captive audience that I can present things to and ask for their opinions – they always seem to perk up just a bit and sit a bit straighter when I start a read aloud with, “ok, so I’m not sure what I think about this book, so I need your help.”

It is always beneficial to get other perspectives on things, and I am grateful that my students allow me to ask for their thoughts and are willing to share theirs with me.



2 comments:

  1. That is so great to enlist the help of your students, with them being older, they are able to do things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that my sixth graders respond to this so well, too. They love that I care to ask and then to listen.

    ReplyDelete